Ingo Maurer (1932 - 2019) studied graphic design in Munich and, in 1960, moved to the United States where he worked in both New York and San Francisco as a freelance graphic designer. In 1963, Maurer moved back to Germany and founded Design M that manufactured his own lighting designs. Design M became the designer's eponymous Ingo Maurer GmbH. Throughout his career, Ingo Maurer consistently used new materials and new technologies to engender new aesthetics. His work has been widely exhibited throughout the world in landmark exhibitions in New York, Paris, Amsterdam, and Munich. His designs are part of the permanent collections of numerous museums worldwide including the Museum of Modern Art, New York; Centre Pompidou, Paris; Die Neue Sammlung, Munich; Cooper Hewitt Museum, New York; Philadelphia Museum of Art; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; and Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco.